Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tuesday of Holy Week

greetings...

the following is day 2 of my devotional thoughts for the tampa underground community as we journey toward easter together...

so glad you are with us as well!!!

"My family has a new white Boxer puppy named Jeep – and yes, with all humility, he is one of the most handsome dogs in canine history. He adds such joy to our lives… Jeep would love to meet you – he wants everyone to be his fan!

Jeep has not been able to attend a Crucible at the tampa underground – I guess there are reasonable limits on inclusivity [ha! ha!]… Maybe when we have an outdoor Crucible in the future???

Last Saturday night, our crew attended Crucible, so we were free on Sunday morning – Palm Sunday…

What a blessing after 25+ years of being a pastor…

So, Jeep and I decided to go worship at Rivercrest Park on Palm Sunday morning. It was glorious – I love overcast weather [weird huh?]. We walked four laps and then we sat down in the clover on the bank of the Hillsborough River.

God was there…

And he was speaking…

So I took some notes for us on my phone – here goes…

Spring has arrived. The trees were alive with green – many and varied shades of green. There were signs of growth all throughout the park as far as we could see. And there was pollen – loads of it…

Only the dead trees were barren [and boring]…

God was speaking to me about growth.

Now is a season for living things to grow – there were unmistakable signs of growth everywhere. Green leaves… Pollen… More pollen… Did I mention pollen? Spring is so beautiful – new growth bursting forth is so appealing, so engaging and so appropriate. Living things grow – it’s just part of being alive…

Not all the growth looked the same – individual trees each had their own color – their own shade of green. Yet they were all growing – at least, all the living ones. Dead trees don’t turn green with growth – they just stand there dead and wait to fall over… Every shade of green had its own beauty – its own loveliness – its own spring magic…

So what???

There is a rhyme and reason to the liturgical calendar – Holy Week is ALWAYS in the spring! Easter is ALWAYS in the spring! The season that explodes with growth, fruitfulness and LIFE – ALL creation is a willing and enthusiastic witness to the power of Holy Week and the centrality of Resurrection Sunday…

So how is it with us – with you and me?

Are we spiritually green with growth and fruitfulness – both in our character and in our mission? Growing in the fruit of the Holy Spirit? Growing in the gifts of the Holy Spirit? Is there clear and unmistakable evidence that we are fully alive? Are we bursting forth with the life of Jesus for all to see and enjoy? Are we an authentic witness of the Resurrection? Are we able to celebrate the growth of others – even when it may be a different hue of green – even when it may not look just like us? Or, do we find it too easy to spiral into condemnation of others who are growing, but may not be growing just like us – are we open enough to embrace their difference?

One more thought as we were leaving [Jeep was getting bored with solitude – he is still a youngster]…

While enjoying a final view of the river, I heard God remind me that he made the river flow – there was no need for me to push the river – he could handle the flow just fine. I think he meant the Hillsborough River AND the river of my life – another way of him gently reminding me that he is God and I am not!

I opened my hand right there by the river and released the control of my life once again to God – life always works best when I am living with an open hand… Not sure why I keep on grasping it so tightly and so frequently – guess I am still on the journey toward trust and release…

Is your hand clenched today – or, is it open?

Opening your hand releases control to God and it leaves us in a posture of receiving so that God can fill our open hand with his sufficiency…

A better way to live…"

have a blessed holy week...

guy

thank you for your prayers for my root canal -- i am doing OK...

No comments:

Post a Comment