Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lent day 9

good evening...

i visited with mr royal this morning...

what a great hour!

an 82 year old african american man from the inner city...

he is almost totally blind...

he is dying of COPD...

he could barely breathe today...

he just came home after 2 months in the hospital and two rehab centers...

he came "very near to death's door..."

he has a 3rd grade education...

he is brilliant...

a self-taught philosopher...

my royal always tells me...

"i love questions..."

"i have come to the conclusion that i can learn from anyone -- even a fool..."

"i love God because he is full of mystery..."

my royal is a gifted storyteller...

today, he recounted his own rendition of "gulliver's travels -- my adventures in the hospital and the rehab center from hell..."

it was ALL good...

but, he said three things i will hold onto far beyond today...

first, he mused: "in all your questioning, never lose your capacity to marvel..."

life is always about much more than we can think or imagine...

secondly, he shared: "no matter what, never lose your gratitude..."

God has give us all so very much...

finally, as he was talking about the end of his life, he said: "never lose your love for God or for yourself -- agree with God -- he loves you, so you can love you too! i don't worry about earning my salvation anymore, why should i work for something he has already given to me as a gift? i'll just receive his gift..."

mr royal loves God -- and himself...

he reminded me again today that it is OK for me to love me...

do you love you???

i love you...

blessings!

guy

i hope you have a mr royal in your life -- i am blessed to have several...

i thank God he gives me such excellent teachers...

masters of life...

No comments:

Post a Comment